Job title – Financial Controller
Company name – Circle Scotland CIC
Job location – Dundee
Salary – £30,000 – £36,000 per year (depending on experience)
Job type – Full-time
The Circle is an award-winning Social Enterprise in Dundee. Recognised for our social impact, The Circle is a business and community hub and is home to 17 organisations ranging from small private businesses to national charities. With big ambitions for 2019, The Circle is seeking a driven and professional Financial Controller to join the team and take the lead on finance within the organisation. An exciting opportunity to join the motivated team of one of Dundee’s most thriving new Social Enterprises.
Based within The Circle management team, you will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer and The Circle Manager to deliver the financial strategy of the business. The candidate will be expected to have the experience to not only manage the day to day financial operations but also have a direct input to the long-term financial goals. Including budgeting, forecasting and strategy. As The Circle continues to grow, the right candidate will have the opportunity to progress into a senior leadership role.
- Working in conjunction with the CEO, preparing the Company’s annual budget for approval by the Board
- Assessing the financial viability of current and potential services, projects and programmes provided by the Company. Suggesting ways these can be remedied if corrective action can be taken. Identifying cost saving possibilities.
- Using financial software such as Xero, Stripe, Paypal, GoCardless, iZettle and Directli.
- Using accounting software, Xero, to conduct daily financial operations such as invoicing, reconciliation and office rental collections.
- Following up unpaid invoices and working with customers to ensure prompt payments are met. Ensuring a positive cash flow for the business.
- Ensure that all financial transactions are properly recorded, filed, and reported. Including updating procedures around petty cash management.
- Reporting compliance with the “asset-lock” requirement within the Company’s Articles of Association and ensuring that any proposed action which might breach that requirement is brought to the attention of the Board
- Create monthly and annual reports to identify results, trends, and financial forecasts. Presenting these reports and findings to the CEO, senior management and board members.
- Suggest updates and improvements for accounting systems, including payroll and invoicing. Updating and improving policies and procedures relating to financial operations.
- Reporting financial and risk performance against agreed Key Performance Indicators, identifying variances and implementing corrective measures as required
- Reporting the Company’s income and expenditure against the approved annual budget, recommending and implementing corrective action as required
- Supporting the Chief Executive in identifying and engaging with potential public and private sector sources of funding to support the Company’s activities
The Circle is still a young organisation, with a small hard-working team. It’s important that the candidate is not only right for the role but also the right fit for our team. We’re excited to be expanding our efforts and welcoming someone new to join us in delivering our vision and goals. As a third sector organisation it’s important that the right candidate also shares this vision and goals. The Circle is home to many organisations who support vulnerable individuals from all walks of life, such as those with additional needs, the elderly and others. The right candidate should have patience and understanding in this type of environment.
- At least three years’ experience working in a financial management role
- Understanding of financial reporting requirements and accounting policies for charities and social enterprises
- Competent use of accounting software Xero will be advantageous.
- Understanding of financial and operational risk management disciplines
- Strong written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to balance support and constructive challenge to other members of the management team
- Integrity; reliability; high attention to detail; organisational skills; critical thinking and problem-solving skills; research skills; analytical skills; computer skills; understanding of data privacy standards.
- Very competitive salary in the sector
- 28 days statutory holiday, inclusive of public holidays
- Two weeks annual leave over Christmas and New Year, as part of your holiday allocation.
- Company pension scheme with NEST
- Internal Training opportunities
- Inclusion to many networking and social events throughout the year with our growing membership and reputation
- The opportunity to be part of one of Dundee’s most exciting new start up award winning organisations
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a cover letter and CV to The Circle 4-6 Staffa Place Dundee, DD2 3SX or alternatively email email@example.com
If you would like to discuss the role, please call CEO Kirsty Thomson or Paul Hastie Manager on 01382 699990.
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Thursday 31st January 2019
There will be two stages to the interview process and the first will be held on Monday 11th February 2019 (pm)